A flashback into the last decade would take us through a unique journey of digitization, modernization and computerization. The journey started in the late 1980s and took a quantum leap in the year 2000 when the Y2K virus took the entire world by surprise. Post 1999, the advances in semi conductor and chip technology has advanced significantly. The first major change came with the size of the computer storage devices and the second change came with the size & features of handheld communication devices like mobile phones. Most of our readers can relate to the giant screen monitor sizes and the huge Motorola mobile handsets which used calling cards instead of the modern micro SIM cards. Taking into consideration these huge advances, we are grateful to modern technology for giving us exponents like the Apple iPhone, the Macbook, the smart watches and the more affordable HP Laptop. Although, a number of major brand names have been missed in the discussion, the readers should understand the undertone of modern technology – It has simplified human lives.
If we pick two devices which have transformed our professional and personal lives, the obvious choice would be the mobile phone and computer. A discussion about a computer and a mobile phone is incomplete without touching down on mobile phone/computer repairing, maintenance and refurbishments. We should also know the basic tricks to enhance their performance, longevity and user satisfaction. Many computer and mobile phone users do not know about the optimal usage of these devices. Some people manhandle these devices and reduce their operational lifetime. This write up is aimed to educate mobile phone users on some important facts about mobile phone and computer repairing.
When do I take my computer or mobile phone to a service center?
The computer on your workstation and the mobile phone on your hand have several internal components in common. Both are digital devices powered by semiconductors having storage devices and intelligently run from the backend by a processor. Both have a display unit and need a power source to run. You need to go for a computer or mobile phone repair when
- The computer cursor or the mobile screen is non responsive
- The computer screen or the mobile screen is blank
- The computer or mobile phone has slowed down considerably
- The computer or mobile phone has suffered a physical damage
- The computer or mobile phone has been exposed to water
What should I do when my device has encountered any of the above mentioned problems?
If your computer or cell phone has encountered any of the above mentioned problems or exhibits a similar symptom, then
- Try restarting your phone or computer
- Check the power supply
- Clean the temp files (Right Click My Computer followed with D and C Drive>Properties>Disk Clean )
- For mobile phone (Settings>Device Maintenance>Memory>Clean)
- Let your computer or mobile phone dry down if it has been exposed to water
- For mobile phones, remove the battery and leave it in the open
When these tips do not work and your mobile or computer is not up and running, then it is time to take it to a hardware specialist. There are repairing companies which work on computers as well as mobile phones. For minor problems you can always take it to a good service center, but for major replacements you should contact the company directly.
Servicing Guidelines for Computer Owners
- A local computer technician must check the computer first
- In case the computer is assembled and a replacement would resolve the problem, then get the requisite spare from the brand’s authorized outlet.
- In case it is a laptop, then the best option is to take it to the authorized service center of the brand. Annual maintenance contracts are very useful for computers and laptops
- Always go for original spares from reputed computer hardware brands like HP, ASUS, Microsoft, Intel, Asroack, Dell, Toshiba, Sony and Sandisk. There are a lot of other reputed brands as well which have not been covered in this discussion.
- Insist on a virus clean up before any hardware replacements, repairs or checks
- Always remember that the right alignment of hardware and software would help your machine run properly
Additional guidelines for computer owners
- make sure that your computer is cleaned with an anti virus
- reboot your computer or laptop to check its startup performance
- ask the service center/technician to install a free anti virus for basic protection
- ask the service center/technician to remove all unnecessary files from the computer
Servicing guidelines for Smart phones
- If your screen is broken get it replaced with an original panel. For iPhone users, the cost would be a touch higher but any alternatives from Chinese companies would affect the overall performance of your device.
- If your battery performance is a problem, then make sure that the battery connects are properly in place
- Ask for a battery replacement if is swollen along the sides
- Ask for a complete software update from your service partner
- Reboot your mobile phone to check its performance
Additional tips for smart phone repairs
- Ask the mobile repair technician to check your phones ear plug point
- Check the USB/Charger port
- Check the performance of the peripherals like chargers and headphones
- Check the camera resolution, clarity and performance
- Ask for repairs in case a problem is found with any of these components
- Ask for a complete virus or junk file clean up from your smart phone to increase its speed
Before taking a computer or mobile phone for repair, it is important to follow a few important checks. At the service station, the users must be particular about certain things which would help them get full proof repairing and maintenance services from an authorized service center.